Wednesday, March 5, 2008

Snack Time!

Ok, I love snacks. Some people say that snacking between meals is bad for your health and to this I say, nonesense. Of course, potato chips and candy bars could be considered a snack, and obviously isn't healthy. A healthy snack keeps our blood sugar steady, so we are less inclined to binge come meal time, and provides extra nutrients and excitement to our diets.

Above, is Apple-Carrot Salad. This could be more of a light meal when paired with a whole grain muffin or some nuts. Just grate a small carrot and a fresh, crisp apple, then toss with a tablespoon of orange juice. Get fancy and add chopped walnuts, raisins, apricots, ground flaxseed, cinnamon or crushed pineapple.

One of my favorite snacks are fruit leathers. Stretch Island makes the cherry flavor which is awesome and my sister recommended Tropicana (yes, they are vegan--no carmine or gelatin) fruit leathers which have an interesting texture--more like really, really dense Jell-O than dried fruit. But they are really tasty and remind me of the beloved fruit-rollups of my childhood. You know what I'm talkin about.
Oohhh--I saw these nuts in the newly-remodeled natural foods section in the grocery store, and for $5, I had the think about it, but eventually put them in my cart. Pecans with black pepper, orange peel and cranberries. I hardly taste the orange peel, and the black pepper is slightly overwhelming, but overall, they are really yummy.
My very own Fruity-Almond Granola Bars. Here's how to make them:

Ingredients: (For about 10-12 bars)

  • 2 cups rolled oats (the big, whole ones, not the quick oats)
  • 1/2 cup quinoa flakes, rye flakes, wheat germ, or additional oats
  • 1/2 cup sliced almonds
  • 1/4 cup tahini
  • 1/2 cup maple syrup
  • pinch of salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract

In a mixing bowl, stir together the tahini, maple syrup and extracts. Add the oats, quinoa flakes and almonds. Mix until the grains are evenly coated in the syrup mixture. Spread the granola on a baking sheet and bake at 275 degrees for a total of 20-30 minutes, stirring every 10 minutes and watching closely so as not to burn the granola.

When the granola is done (it should be dry and lightly golden), transfer to a large mixing bowl and, while it's still hot, drizzle with

  • 1/2 cup brown rice syrup
  • then mix in 2/3 cup chopped mixed dried fruit

Spread the mixture firmly and evenly in a large loaf pan either lined with parchment or light oiled. Chill in the fridge until cool and firm, then cut into bars. Store in the refrigerator.


Finally, I found these agave sticks (just like honey sticks, but agave) at Target, of all places! Admittedly, they don't have as much flavor as some of the other brands of agave I've tried, but good nonetheless. The back of the box even says they are a great vegan alternative to honey! I keep them in my bag when I need a little sugar boost. Yum!

1 comment:

Matthew said...

Could the agave sticks go in coffee? I try to pair everything with coffee btw.