Friday, March 14, 2008

Roasted Veggie Hand Pies

I am having so much fun with my Tiffin! I think everyone should have one of these things. Anyway, I was feeling ambitious and decided that Roasted Veggie Handpies sounded good for lunch today. I used the pastry recipe for the Acorn Squash and Black Bean Empanadas from Veganomicon and stuffed it with some simple roasted potatoes, sweet potatoes and carrots. As if that doesn't take enough time, I wanted to get cute and add some little flowers with my new favorite mini cookie cutters. But of course, all the time and effort is worth it for these.

Truth be told, the last time I made this dough, I used the food processor. That's how they do it on the Food Network! But I actually think doing it by hand is faster (you don't have to keep taking the lid on and off) and makes a lighter, more tender crust.


Mini cucumbers and dried apricots are in the other compartment. If you ever come across these little cucumbers at your grocery store, get them! They are so crunchy and flavorful, and work perfectly in a lunchbox.

1 comment:

Matthew said...

Those little cucumbers were good! I'm getting tiffin envy btw.