Friday, January 18, 2008

Today's Lunch and Kombucha!

So today for my lunch-on-the-go, I packed some whole grain mini-cracker peanutbutter sandwiches, some more of those little green beans I adore so much along with some mini red, yellow and orange bell peppers.

I also have a bottle of acai juice--which, if you've never had it is a wonderful thing. Made from the tropical acai fruit, it is thick like a smoothie, and almost creamy, with a not-to-sweet, mild taste.

I always have these little packets of Emergen-C hanging around in my bag--a powdered supplement that you mix water and it really tastes lovely. For me, they are a lifesaver, because I work with so many people everyday for my job, I don't even want to know what kind of germs/viruses/bacteria I am inevitably coming into contact with.

I used to drink Kombucha all the time when I lived near my natural foods co-op where they sell it. But now I've moved and mainly shop at the supermarket literally two blocks away--mind you, it is a very good supermarket with a huge natural foods section. Occasionally, I will go to Whole Foods and more often shop at Trader Joes--which I am so lucky to have! Anyway, one day I was at the supermarket and my eye caught some very bright jewel-tone bottles in the juice case. "Kombucha!!" I exclaimed. Once I was able to quell my excitement at the prospect of having kombucha at my fingertips every day of the week, my eye drifted down to the price tag. $3.49 per bottle. Ok, so maybe I wouldn't be drinking this health tonic every day, but maybe three days a week.

Now that you know I love kombucha, let me fill you in on why. Kombucha is a fermented tea that is unpasturized, raw, and filled with goodies like enzymes, B vitamins, and actually acts to restore and balance your body's pH (if your body is too acidic--usually caused my eating too much meat and other animal products, it stresses every organ of your body and causes the breakdown of your tissues, in addition of causing the buildup of lots of toxins).

Yeah, but does it taste good? Heck yes! It's fizzy and if you want to know the truth, tastes a bit like booze (it naturally contains no more than .05% alcohol because of the fermentation). It comes in flavors like citrus, guava (my favorite) and green (with spirulina).

No comments: