Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Yellow Rose extravaganza

Thank you to Bazu for mentioning this fantastic cookbook in a recent post. I hopped right onto the Herbivore site to buy it after reading about all the great recipes it contains. It is published by Herbivore, so you know it will be a.) sassy b.) unique and c.) exciting, and of course the author, Joanna Vaught is all those things too.
So, for a mid-week dinner for one, I made the Twice Baked Potatoes (which I didn't stuff back into the skins, but just mashed up the baked potatoes in a dish and baked them again that way), Sesame Green Beans ("Yum" and "yum" is all I have to say about that) and the Grilled Portobellos. This was like a Sunday dinner feast! But, no feast is complete without dessert....
Spice Cake! This is the first recipe I made from Yellow Rose, because it sounded too damn good to pass up for any length of time. The cake is moist and light and has just enough sweet-and-spicy-spice--and the cream cheese frosting dosen't hurt either. One thing is that I would add some raisins to the batter next time and maybe a touch more cinnamon. Also, I used water instead of the brewed chai tea, and I think I will use the tea next time for more of a spicy flavor.
Get this book! And also visit Joanna's blog, Yellow Rose Recipes.

1 comment:

Matthew said...

I am the buttered noddles to your "Yellow Rose extravaganza." Also, I had buttered noodles for dinner.