Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Meaty Lasagna

As much as I love the usual tofu-ricotta lasagna, I was in the mood for something especially savory and comforting. Matt and I made a version of this "meat" lasagna ahwile back, so I thought I would tweak it a little. Our old version used just whole meatless meatballs and frozen broccoli straight out of the bag. While this method is faster, the end result was a little sloppy and didn't cook evenly. So here's how to make the best veggie meat lasagna EVER:

Ingredients: (Makes one big pan of lasagna--or enough for about 8 hungry vegans)

* 1 box lasagna noodles

* 1 large bag frozen organic broccoli, thawed then chopped into small bits

* 1 bag Nate's Meatless meatballs, baked in the oven according to package instructions, then crumbled or mashed with a fork

* 1 (or 2 if you like a good amount of sauce like I do) jars marinara sauce (I LOVE Newman's brand)

* vegan Parmesan and/or mozzarella, optional

Cook the noodles in plenty of boiling salted water until tender (but not completely done, as they will continue to cook in the oven). In a regular size casserole dish, alternate layers of noodles, meat, broccoli, sauce and cheese, if using. End with a healthy layer of sauce and sprinkle on some cheese. Cover with foil, bake at 375 degrees for 45 min to one hour, removing the cover 2/3 the way through baking time. Let cool for 10 minutes (enough time to put together a salad and make some garlic bread) then enjoy the hot, savory, saucy goodness.

1 comment:

Matthew said...

Yum - I cannot wait to try some!!!