Monday, February 25, 2008

Empanadas, Cupcakes for my Cupcake and Vegan Caesar Salad

Yikes--I have been so sick with the stomach flu! I was off work almost all last week--very, very sick. But I'm feeling much better, back to normal, and am ready for this yucky winter/cold/flu season to be over!

Anyway, I know Valentine's Day is well over, but I still want to share what I made Matt for dinner that night. Black Bean and Squash Empanadas from Veganomicon. These were a labor of love--perfect for Valentine's dinner, and we loved them. I would experiment with other flavors--curry squash/cauliflower perhaps, or something fun like pizza or broccoli cheese. The dough/crust is yummy and seems very versatile for many different fillings.
Of course you have to have something sweet for your sweetie, so I made these super-easy and soooo yummy Vanilla Cupcakes with Vanilla Vegan Buttercream from Vegan Cupcakes Take Over the World. These are the best vegan cupcakes I've ever made! So light and fluffy and simple.Also from Veganomicon, I had to try the Vegan Caesar Salad recipe. Believe it or not, all the years I've been vegan, I've never, ever made Caesar Salad! But one thing is for sure, if you have the idea of wanting a light salad for dinner, do not make this! It is rich--delicious--but rich. I had some leftover baked tofu in the fridge which I sliced and tasted just like chicken when dipped in the dressing. One thing about the dressing: I found the capers to be quite overpowering and would either omit the caper brine and add more lemon juice or reduce the amount of capers by 1/2 to 1/3. And I would definitely add black pepper to the dressing. Oh yeah, and the cruotons MAKE this salad!

2 comments:

Matthew said...

You're just like Rachel Ray except beautiful, intelligent, funny, excellent in the kitchen, human...

Matt and Bobbie said...

:) thank you Cupcake :)